Friday, November 19, 2010

I need a ear! My parents are very hard on me and not my brothers, how do I make them see what they do?

I'm 16 years old and my older brother is 20 now. My brother(oldest of 3) was a star athlete in high school just like my whole family besides me. My little brother(youngest of 3) is also a star athlete even though he is only 13. My parents are very sports oriented as well, my dad has a full time job and coaches high school basketball, all of my brothers sports teams and a girls select league, my mom is a do it all mom, she has a full time job managing an office and is a full time student getting her bachelors and does EVERYTHING for my brothers and dad. However I am different. I cook my own meals, I do my own laundry, I am an excellent student(I'm going to the local community college at 16.) I also find myself left alone a lot of the time. Nobody listens to me ever it feels like and it feels like I don't belong. And I don't do sports. Therefore when it came time to get my license I was excited to start seeing my friends and driving around to get out of my house where I am pretty much ignored. So when I turned 16 in January my parents were very apprehensive to get me my license(It was hard enough to let them get me my permit) so in February they finally decided it was time. However there is a loop hole, i cant have insurance, so I cannot drive. So I went till April thinking I did not have insurance, turns out I did. I finally convinced them to let me drive, I told them I wouldn't drive with friends in the car but I did. And they caught me and said that it would take a long time until I can get my car back. However when my brother turned 16(having made stupid decisions like egging a bus a month before and got caught, ect.) he instantly got his license and drove with friends in the car after also telling my parents that he wouldn't. He got caught and only got his car taken away for a week. Throughout this whole ordeal I have calmly been asking them why everything was so instant for him and not me and they say ';Quit comparing your brother to you!'; But its hard not to, how can I bring this to their attention another way, because they are obviously not understanding when I tell them.I need a ear! My parents are very hard on me and not my brothers, how do I make them see what they do?
read this to them. send them this link and make them understand. they are being unfair to you. Obviously you have achieved excellence and you excel, which you should be so proud of. PLEASE PLEASE show these jerks %26lt;- I'm sorry but they are. * that you were brought into this world by them, and you want them to realize this. Tell them that your brothers receive the attention because they fit into the mold that your parents have shaped for all their children be, and you don't fit into that mold. I find it sad that they are picking favorites, and when they do tell you don't compare yourself to your brother, saying the same thing back, don't compare me to my brother, we aren't the same person, great in our own ways, and just because he is more of what your image is, doesn't mean I'm not any less of your child. Hope this helps :)I need a ear! My parents are very hard on me and not my brothers, how do I make them see what they do?
When my sister was your age my older sister, now 20, and she has a wonderful life (getting married to a police officer, has own house, step kids...) she felt the same way. So she kept LOTS of journals. It had HORRIBLE things in it. The day she turned 18, she set the journals on the kitchen table, and left for 2 years. My parents felt terrible. She is doing fine on her own. She does everything by herself...I asked her who is walking her down the aisle, and she said ';I am. Like I've done evrthing else is my life Callie. If you were independent, you would too.';
Quite a few teenagers sometimes feel like they must have been born into the wrong family. Yours is a family of sports fanatics, and you don't like sports much. In some families, everybody is an A+ student except one who is a fine artist but doesn't understand algebra. Or all the girls love to cook and sew, but one is more of a track star than a domestic goddess.



The key question is, how do you persuade your folks to treat you fairly?



My advice, which can only be general: See if you can figure out a way to express your concerns in sports terms. If there's anything that's consistent across all sports, it's the idea that rules apply equally to all players, and referees must not favor any particular team or any particular individual.



If your folks say things like, ';Different strokes for different folks,'; try to find out what they think is so different about you that you must be treated differently. Also, it might advance your cause if you help prepare the family dinners, and participate in their conversations about sports and whatever else is on their minds.



I wish you good luck as you work this out. Think of it as a logic problem rather than a put-down.

No comments:

Post a Comment