Friday, November 19, 2010

How do I get my puppy from not being scared?

Maisey, my little girl, is 10 months old and has always been afraid of loud noises (sneezing used to scare her when she was tiny). Anyway, about a week ago our cable company did an upgrade on our cable boxes and knocked out our cable. Maisey was laying in bed with me (this was about 1 in the morning) and as soon as it happened she jumped up and started freaking out. Running around whinning, so much so it scared me. At first I had no idea what was going on, until the very next night the same exact thing happened again. Cable went out, and she freaked out again. Now, i cant get her back in the bedroom. The only thing I can figure is when the cable box went out, it sent out a high frequency tone that only she could hear. Now it is like she associates this scary noise with the bedroom and is afraid of it. She will come in the room to follow me around or whatnot, but when it comes to bedtime, forget it. She whines a good portion of the night and is completely restless if I make her stay in the room. I feel horrible and am at a total loss of what to do to help her overcome this fear of the bedroom. Any ideas??How do I get my puppy from not being scared?
I suggest you first of all don't encourage the scared by reinforcing it in any way like trying to calm her down or pet her when she's in that state, it could have been easily resolved by you demanding she lie down and go back to sleep, being strict in this case would have been best, she would have snapped out of it and gotten over it quicker, its when human coddles the dog, chances are she was ok till you coddled or tried to soothe her fears, then suddenly dog thinks that there is something to fear, when if you had told her to lie down and been firm and gone back to sleep she would have snapped out of it.



I suggest you simply leave her in the other room to sleep, if she's not happy sleeping in your room then you shouldn't force her to.How do I get my puppy from not being scared?
give it a ruff tuff name like pedro

No comments:

Post a Comment